William Humphreys Art Gallery
Initially the art gallery was run on a personal basis and was often referred to by the Humphreys family as ‘Dad’s gallery’. After having run it almost single-handed for nine years, Mr Humphreys’ health began to deteriorate, and it was decided that the time had come to appoint a full-time director/secretary.
It soon became apparent that the existing building would not be large enough to accommodate the rapidly expanding collections. The first of the additional wings was added in 1956. Built to accommodate the English paintings, a stained-glass window depicting Gainsborough’s Blue Boy was imported from Lancaster in England and
The art gallery, which bears William Humphreys’ name, was opened by Mr Harry Oppenheimer on 6 December 1952. Although an appendage of the Northern Cape Technical College, it was run independently by its own committee with Mr Humphreys at the helm of affairs in his capacity as chairman of the Art Gallery Committee. In the absence...
The history of the art gallery and its collection, maybe traced back to well before 1952 when the art gallery first opened its doors to the public. Kimberley was fortunate in having, even in its early days, men with foresight and an appreciation of things other than the purely material.